Thursday, February 28, 2008

Love


I have mused on the nature of love, today.

It started when teh Doktor and I were at a flea market, looking for bookshelves. (You can never have too many bookshelves!) I started thinking.
"Every item I'm looking at was, at one point, loved. By the person who bought it or received it as a gift, the person who got it to make their friend happy, or maybe by the person who made it. Now that they've sold it, do they still love it? Did they want to part with it? If they didn't, do they want it back? Do they feel guilty? Will anybody else ever love it?"

Being mushy and happily attached at this point in my life, I tend to think of love as long-lasting, even permanent. Maybe there are other kinds of love, though. Perhaps they weaken and die faster than what I'm thinking of.
After all, you can love objects, you can love your partner, and you can love people other than your partner, but you probably don't treat them all the same way. You can love people that you absolutely can't stand. (Translation- family.) You can love people out of a sense of obligation more than a feeling of tenderness. (Family again!)

Maybe love, like everything else in life, cannot be completely understood. It's so difficult to ponder the natures of things like peace and happiness, perhaps love should belong in that same category. All the things that are pretty much impossible to get are all in one pile, that way. Meh. That's where I'm going to put it, anyway.

So, now that my brain hurts what are some things that I love?
Herr Doktor
sushi
my family (For many different reasons.)
writing
the game of Go
anime and manga
video games
music
dance
warm, soft blankets
candy
hula hooping
laughing
feeling all safe and happy
baths
bubbles
bubble baths
purdy flowers
snazzy clothes
looking pretty
*cough* certain... adult activities
hearing "I love you."
saying "I love you."
my locket
my ring
my father

'Kay, I'll stop now. See my point, though? So many different kinds of things, and a different reason for loving all of them. Even a different kind of love, in some cases. How strange that we use the same word for all of it, ne?

6 days until March 5th! Craps! What will I wear?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wear something sparkly. And glitter. You can never have too much glitter. Glitter makes instant sex appeal. You already have instant sex appeal so with glitter you'll never get out the door....hmmm maybe a corset to deter instantly being ravaged! *^.~*

Unknown said...

PS The Hello Kitty dress is amazing. I need one. I have the perfect shoes to match.