Friday, July 4, 2008

Deep Thoughts, pt 2

Have you ever done something really, really stupid? Hmm... Not the best question... I'll think of a better way to put it...

If you've ever worked a customer service job, you probably know the perils of making promises that you're not certain you can keep. Getting a customer's expectations up is equivalent to taping a sign to your own arse that says "I deserve to be screamed at!" So it's really strange that I did just that thing tonight, knowing what I was asking for. What's even more strange is how it paid off.

A customer called tonight, asking if we had a particular item. It took a good fifteen minutes to figure out if we even had it in the store. Then, it turns out that this item might be recalled. The customer doesn't want to drive an hour just to find out that they can't buy the darn thing (pretty understandable) so I agree to write down her phone number and call her back when I figure out what she needs. This was definitely against my better judgment. As it turns out, I managed to figure the problem out and call her back within fifteen minutes. They said 'thanks,' I said 'no prob,' and thought that was the end of it. Imagine my surprise when the husband saunters up to the desk to compliment the girl on the service desk who helped his wife out. Yeah, it was me. He ended up talking with the manager for my department, singing my praises the whole time.

I cannot remember the last time I have felt that kind of euphoria within the bounds of my retail prison. It wasn't just that I was getting a compliment. Yeah, that's great, but I was also filled with that sense of honest happiness that you feel when you know you've done something nice, or accomplished something impressive.

Uck. I'm tired and rambling right now, but I guess the lesson I learned tonight is that doing something a little stupid is sometimes the right choice. Just don't be too much of an idiot.

And now for something completely different!

That was just to make sure nobody will accuse me of "growing up" or "being mature." =)

No comments: