Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Digital Purgatory

For those of you who haven't noticed, I'm not Christian anymore. I was raised Catholic by a very strict mother, which is basically what killed it for me. All the same, lets assume that maybe, maybe, there is a Hell. I will be in the best of company when (if) I finally go there.

George Carlin was a fantastic comedian. He had a certain disregard for what was good and/or proper, which I admired greatly. He made jokes about disgusting, terrible things, which I admired even more. And he approached the subject of religion with a biting, vicious sarcasm that made it clear that this was a man after my own heart.

Perhaps it's silly of me to miss someone so much without ever having met them... Yeah, fuck that noise. I identified with George, I loved his sense of humor, I thought more people should listen to his points regarding religion, and I'm sorry that he's gone.

Perhaps that's why there's a brand spanking new folder on my desktop with the title "Dead People." It already plays host to four departed souls that I think the world is worse off without, one of them being the revered Mr. Carlin. He will always be towards the front of my Purgatory Parade. (Those not getting the joke should look up his "It's bad for ya!" HBO special.)

Farewell, George. We'll miss you.

George Carlin May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008

No comments: